Saturday, July 28, 2007

BlogHer - Day Two

All the sessions I've attended today are of a political nature. I'm someone who believes that everything is political -- which doesn't mean that everything is, or has to be, partisan. Yesterday I found myself in some interesting conversations with women who want to take politics out of some discussion of issues, but I keep wondering "how can we do that, when most of the issues being discussed have a clear political link?"

The issue of health care, it's political. Someone, or some group of individuals, has decided that as a nation we will not provide universal healthcare. That means there will be no coverage for the working poor and no coverage for people who are not employed.

The Iraq war, how is this NOT a political issue?

The environment, and the whole issue of global warming -- again, how can this not be considered a political issue?

Where I think some of the disconnect comes in is that none of these issues have to be partisan. The problems we face in this country are largely the result of the shortcomings of BOTH major political parties. We need to hold all of them accountable.

No comments: