Friday, August 31, 2007

Bush wants $50 billion more for failed Iraq war

If this doesn't make your blood boil, nothing will. The WaPo reports:
President Bush plans to ask Congress next month for up to $50 billion in additional funding for the war in Iraq, a White House official said yesterday, a move that appears to reflect increasing administration confidence that it can fend off congressional calls for a rapid drawdown of U.S. forces.
WTF??

Why should George Bush have "confidence" that he can push through another spending increase? Because so far, the spineless Congress HAS LET HIM!

JUST SAY NO!

The request -- which would come on top of about $460 billion in the fiscal 2008 defense budget and $147 billion in a pending supplemental bill to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq -- is expected to be announced after congressional hearings scheduled for mid-September featuring the two top U.S. officials in Iraq. Army Gen. David H. Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker will assess the state of the war and the effect of the new strategy the U.S. military has pursued this year.

The request is being prepared now in the belief that Congress will be unlikely to balk so soon after hearing the two officials argue that there are promising developments in Iraq but that they need more time to solidify the progress they have made, a congressional aide said.
Call your members of Congress on Tuesday and DEMAND that they say NO to this out of control administration. The Congressional switchboard number is 202-224-3121. They can connect you to your Representative or Senators office. If you don't know who your Congress members are, go here and type in your zip code in the box on the left.

Let them know you have read the GAO report that finds little progress on Iraq goals.

Iraq has failed to meet all but three of 18 congressionally mandated benchmarks for political and military progress, according to a draft of a Government Accountability Office report. The document questions whether some aspects of a more positive assessment by the White House last month adequately reflected the range of views the GAO found within the administration.

The strikingly negative GAO draft, which will be delivered to Congress in final form on Tuesday, comes as the White House prepares to deliver its own new benchmark report in the second week of September, along with congressional testimony from Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, and Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker. They are expected to describe significant security improvements and offer at least some promise for political reconciliation in Iraq.

The draft provides a stark assessment of the tactical effects of the current U.S.-led counteroffensive to secure Baghdad. "While the Baghdad security plan was intended to reduce sectarian violence, U.S. agencies differ on whether such violence has been reduced," it states. While there have been fewer attacks against U.S. forces, it notes, the number of attacks against Iraqi civilians remains unchanged. It also finds that "the capabilities of Iraqi security forces have not improved."

We already know the commanders are not going to present a negative report to Congress. They know Bush would find a way to punish them if they dare tell the truth. Congress has got to stand up to this lunatic president.

2 comments:

FranIAm said...

Iraq or Iran maybe? Come on over to my place for my latest tin-foil-hat-lunatic ravings and decide for yourself...

BAC said...

Will do.


BAC