Friday, August 10, 2007

The Visible Vote '08 -- Bill Richardson

Bill Richardson began by apologizing for his vote in support of the Defense of Marriage Act. He said he would repeal it now, and would work for civil union. He would also work to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, and to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Richardson is still on an apology tour, apologizing for using a term while appearing on the Don Imus program that is a Latino term for "faggot."

He then talked about his accomplishments. He is the only governor to call a special session to expand domestic partnerships. He has appointed cabinet members who are gay and lesbian, all through his administration. He has fully funded HIV/AIDS initiatives in his state.

Margaret Carlson said everyone gets "one mistake on Imus."

As governor, Richardson kept DOMA from passing. He killed it.

Joe Solomonese asked the Governor, "if the New Mexico legislature passed marriage equality legislation, would you sign it?"

Richardson replied that he is pushing the New Mexico legislature very hard to expand domestic partnerships, saying "it's the same thing ... It's a question of going through a path that is achievable."

Joe asked again, if Richardson thinks the issue should be dealt with in the states, and his state passed marriage equality, would he sign it. Richardson basically said "no." That he is "not there yet," and that "the nation's not there yet."

Melissa Etheridge asked Richardson if homosexuality is a choice, or is it biological.

Richardson responded that he thinks it's "a choice."

Etheridge then said, "I don't know if you understand the question" -- and repeated it.

Richardson, looking quite confused, said: "I'm not a scientist ... I don't see this as an issue of science or definition. I see gays and lesbians as people, as a matter of human decency. I see it as a matter of love and companionship, and people loving each other. I don't like to categorize people. I don't to answer definitions like that, that are perhaps grounded in science or something else that I don't understand."

Richardson is really struggling with his response to these issues. He seems very uncomfortable. I guess he should be commended for coming, when he is clearly not comfortable in this setting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I liked Richardson until I heard this nonsense.

I don't believe being gay is a "choice," but my problem is, who cares if it is a choice anyway? If that's what makes people happy, then more power to them.

I will say that there is something that is without a doubt a "choice;"

Being ignorant is a "choice."

BAC said...

I'm not sure if he was just tired, or what, but he really didn't help himself at all with this appearance.


BAC

Dr. Zaius said...

I don't like Richardson becuase he has such a pro-imigration stance. He wants to open up the borders just like Bush did before 911. On the other hand, he has to be loyal to his constituents. New Mexico is not San Francisco. He is not a very good speaker I think.

BAC said...

It's like he needs a pacemaker for his mouth.


BAC