Friday, December 28, 2007

Another neanderthal

Is anyone surprised that Mike Huckabee thinks women should "graciously submit" to their husbands? Didn't think so. But just in case you needed yet another reason NOT to vote for this neadnerthal, here it is!

Lucinda Marshall writes:

You've already probably got a long list of reasons why you think Mike Huckabee is way too scary to vote for, but just in case you need another one:

"In August of 1998, Huckabee was one of 131 signatories to a full page USA Today Ad which declared: "I affirm the statement on the family issued by the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention." What was in the family statement from the SBC? "A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ."

The ad wasn't just a blanket, "we support the SBC statement," but rather highlighted details. The ad Huckabee signed specifically said of the SBC family statement: "You are right because you called wives to graciously submit to their husband's sacrificial leadership."

Talk about a major EEWWW! Someone remind me again what century this is...

I agree Lucinda ... eewwwww!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if you ever saw the frau Huckabee, you would realize that neither of them probably take advantage of this Bible-y nonsense.

What a sad life these people lead.

Regards,

Tengrain

Fran said...

This particular Catholic Christian has two words for that sh*t and for the particular piece of Pauline Scripture...

F*ck That!

The line of Scripture that supports that is debated and dissected endlessly in various Christian circles. And it will be forever.

So I will stick with my F That idea.

In my personal and blogging progressive Christian circles, we often just say "and Jesus wept"... as he no doubt does when seeing this crap. Because if one thing is clear, he did not see anyone over anyone in that way.

BAC said...

Tengrain - I agree.

Fran - your perspective matches that of the wonderful progressive people of faith that I know. I think the bumper sticker "Jesus, save me from your followers" is appropriate in this instance.


BAC

Anonymous said...

What? Don't all wives submit graciously to their husband? Jeez. this guy really is scary. I wish I was a reporter I would call him on that point and ask him: What words should a man use to get his wife to graciously submit? Because I said so, bitch?