Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Debates

The Republican and Democratic debates just ended, and it's pretty clear why Democratic turnout is so high ... we have the best candidates!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry listening to the Republicans talk about how wonderful our health care system is. I guess none of them hear about Nataline Sarkisyan, the 17 year-old who died because CIGNA refused to pay for a liver transplant.

Overall, McCain probably helped himself, Romney probably took the biggest hit, Huckabee was on message, but I don't think it's a message that will sell in NH ... and Fred was just boring. Ron Paul tried to make his case around the war, but everyone just ganged up on him and wouldn't really let him talk. McCain did well the last time he ran in NH, I expect he will do well again.

Then it was the Democrat's time in the spotlight. The first thing I was struck by was how tired they all looked. It was unclear going in whether or not Edwards would attack Obama, trying to make it look like a two-way race between the two of them, or would he continue to attack Clinton. That question was answered pretty early when he went after Clinton.

I'm not sure if he helped himself by doing so, but it is understandable. Edwards is almost out of money, so he has to hope that he finishes at least second to be able to stay in the race. If Edwards finishes third I think, as I've mentioned before, he's toast.

Obama was fairly steady tonight, although I thought his response to Hillary about likability was a bit arrogant when he said 'You're likable enough, Hillary.' Clinton, on the other hand handled the question very well.

Hillary did what she had to do, which was to draw distinctions between herself and Obama. I thought she handled the whole "change" issue very well, providing real examples of how she has brought about change. When push came to shove, Edwards couldn't provide any real examples of change he was able to make during his time in the Senate.

I think overall the person who probably benefited from tonight was Hillary. Obama didn't hurt himself, but I don't think he helped himself either. The same for Edwards. Hillary again with stood the attacks, presented real examples of what she has accomplished, and clearly presented herself as someone who is ready to lead from day one.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice write up about the debate(s). I think Obama and Hillary did well, and Edwards showed a lot of energy. I wouldn't read too much into Obama's comment (as arrogant) and I won't read too much into her shrill tone anger. I think they're all a bit exhausted and I'm willing to chalk it up to that. Overall a good debate and seeing it back to back with the Repugs was enlightening and defining of what I already knew...the Dems are living in a different universe and they have the advantage (also proven by the turnout in Iowa) and they're going to crush the Republicans in November if this distinction continues. I think people are tired of voting for candidates who live on other planets (especially independents).

BAC said...

Danvera - Welcome! I agree that the Dems have the strongest field, and are on track to clean up in November. I didn't interpret Hillary's response as shrill, frustrated maybe, but not shrill. I doubt that I would have had as much control. I do agree that they all looked tired. The strong three-way race is certainly taking its toll.


BAC

Anonymous said...

The thing Hillary did tonight (that I liked, I admit it) was when Edwards pushed her buttons and she got angry and went off script and started giving concrete examples of change that she helped to bring about. I saw it at C&L, so that was my limit on watching the debates, tho.

She's still not my candidate, BAC, but I thought it was good that she did it.

Regards,

Tengrain

BAC said...

I just posted that clip and others if you'd like to see them. Tengrain, I know she's not your candidate, and I want you to know that I appreciate your words here.


BAC

Distributorcap said...

bac...

isnt it nice for a change to know that even the 'worse' choice for us is far better than the 'best' choice for them.

only mccain out of all those lunatics has any semblance of mature behavior --- romney is so obviously self destructing it makes me laugh.

i just hope whomever we pick doesnt flub it between now and november and we end up with president huckapoo

John J. said...

Great sum up of the debates. The Republicans just further proved how little they know about what is really going on. And at the same time finished adding all the nails to Romney's coffin.

As for Obama's remark, it did come across as cold, but Hillary's response sounded fake and scripted. For both of them, it was probably just exhaustion, but it wasn't a strong moment for either one.

I personally think Hillary handled the change questions horribly, her and Richardson both. Hillary's response was "I already tried change!" in my opinion further emphasizing how she doesn't understand what sort of change Obama and Edwards are running on, which is a change in Washington and how it's run, not just a change in what sort of bills get passed. Richardson did far worse saying in effect "I've seen people claim they want to make change in this, but they never can so just give it up."

I too heard what danvera did in that exchange, but I wouldn't call it shrillness, more frustration that people aren't understanding her. The way it came out probably also had a lot to do with how exhausted they all were. The problem is whether it is the people not understanding her, or her not understanding what the people are asking for.

BAC said...

DCap - It is refreshing to have such a strong field.

John - Hillary did NOT say "I already tried change!" ... what she said is that she is the only candidate who has actually MADE SIGNIFICANT change.

It could very possibly be that I've lived in Washington, DC too long cause I've heard candidates in the past say they were going to make the kind of "change" both Obama and Edwards are talking about and it hasn't happened.

We live in a country where the people are almost evenly divided between liberal and conservative ... and our government represents ALL the people. What that means is that sometimes I will get what I want, and sometimes I won't. I have the confidence that Hillary will be able to deliver more of what I want.


BAC

John J. said...

You're right, like Richardson said, a lot of people have gone into Washington looking to change it and have been changed instead.

Obama has passed legislation both on the state and the federal level that changes how lobbyists can do business. True, the federal bill could use some work (and I wish he had admitted to that in the debate...), but it is a significant step forward. He has also tried very hard to work with both sides of the aisle in a fair way, which will hopefully lessen the partisan atmosphere of Washington. Already I have heard half a dozen republicans call into NPR to tell them that they would vote for Obama over any of the Republican candidates.

Edwards is far more militant in his desire for change, probably due in part to his reception during the last presidential campaign and his time in Washington. He is the one least likely to be changed by the atmosphere of Washington, but his stance may put off those who disagree with him.

BAC said...

Hillary also has a history of working across the aisle to get legislation passed. Over the past seven years she has managed to turn some of her strongest critics into friends.

And at the moment the Republican party is imploding. I'm not sure, however, that I would count on Republicans voting for a Dem in a general election. Once the conventions take place it's an all new ballgame.


BAC