Sunday, February 24, 2008

What a Nader Candidacy Looks Like

Everyone has heard that now famous Bushism: "Fool me once, shame on you ... fool me twice, you can't get fooled again!" Does Ralph Nader think the American people are going to fall for his divisive tactics again?

Nader has announced is intension to run for president yet again. Does he have a new book coming out? Is he just bored? What could he possibly add to the race, other than divisiveness?

My email address somehow ended up on an email list, of people who support Ralph Nader. I didn't realize it until I received a message a few weeks ago announcing Ralph's intension to run. In my most diplomatic voice I responded by saying: Anyone who votes for Ralph Nader is crazy. Of course I was 1) attacked and 2) kicked off the list. Both were fine with me. (In fact, I asked to be taken off the list, so it was kind of a mutual thing.)

Let me add here that I have met Ralph Nader, and I used to respect the man, but I lost that respect in 2000. What I had always liked about Nader was his willingness to stand up to Corporate American, in defense of "the little guy." He always seemed to me to be an honest, sincere public advocate. But that impression of him changed dramatically in 2000.

He actually said there was "no difference" between Al Gore and George W. Bush. What? NO DIFFERENCE????

Let's start with the obvious. Gore is an intelligent man. He served his country honorably in Vietnam. And he cares about the environment. He also has a good record on issues of importance to me like women's rights and LGBT civil rights. I have never heard a bit of scandal attached to him -- he doesn't appear to be a womanizer, use drugs, or engage in any of the other activity that seems to have plagued other elected officials.

George W. Bush, by his own admission, has a substance abuse problem. There is compelling evidence he went AWOL during his time in the National Guard. And he just doesn't seem all that bright.

So I'm sorry Ralph. It was completely disingenuous of you to claim there was "no difference" between these two men. You lost me on that one.

The stakes are very high this year. Regardless of who you support on the Democratic side, John McCain has said we will be in Iraq for 100 years. He has admitted his lack of knowledge about economics. And he has pledged to religious conservatives that he will appoint Supreme Court Justices like Alito and Roberts. That ALONE makes McCain unfit for the job!

I know this is harsh, but if you or anyone you know is even thinking about supporting Ralph Nader, seek professional help now.

And in closing let me say that it's not the concept of a third or alternate party that I disagree with. It's simply that under the current system there is no way for an alternate party to have any real power in this country, other than in their role as a "spoiler." We would need to change from a "winner-take-all" structure for alternate parties to truly have a voice -- and I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

So Ralph, I urge you to go back to your role as an advocate and work to restore your credibility.

5 comments:

KELSO'S NUTS said...

I agree with you but once Gore picked Lieberman, my hands were kind of tied and I had to vote for Nader in 2000. In NYS, not that it mattered. Let's be fair here, BAC, the Al Gore of today is a very different political animal than the Al Gore of 2000.

Nader made a lot of sense, I thought, on Meet The Press. "Liberal Evangelist"! That was awesome.

Dean Wormer said...

I don't think Nader will be much of a factor. He went from several million votes in the 2000 election to just 400k or so in the 2004 election.

He's a nuisance- a distraction if you will.

Jess Wundrun said...

Randi Rhodes said of Nader that he is like a pair of shoes she can no longer afford. They looked nice once, but she's not willing to make the sacrifice in the important things to pay for those shoes.

Plus, we tend to forget he is older than McCain.

For a man who hates power hungry corporations, he sure is power hungry.

BAC said...

Kelso - as I said in the post, Nader lost me a long time ago. I would agree that Gore has changed, but I still think that in 2000 he was far superior to GWB.

Dean Wormer - I hope you are correct. The thought of Nader making it harder to defeat McCain just makes me feel ill.

Jess - I agree that he seems power hungry. He doesn't wear it well.


BAC

Unknown said...

I can't say one way or the other, your words literally disappeared while I was reading them.

Wacky.