Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Obama the day after ... the speech

Tuesday was another busy day, but I did stop for 40 minutes to listen to Sen. Barack Obama's speech. I must confess that I was able to focus on it for about 20 minutes, and then I found myself drifting off to thoughts of what I needed to do.

I also found myself thinking that I do agree with what he is saying, and there is no question that he is good at delivering a speech, but at the same time there was something missing.

I'm not sure this will come out the way I hope it will, but here goes.

There is absolutely no question that racism exists. Just as there is absolutely no question that sexism exists. What I am still so frustrated about is that we have now heard a 40 minute speech on racism, and we have yet to hear anything about the sexism that has gotten so bad some progressive bloggers have called for a strike against certain progressive blogs.

These so-called progressive blogs have allowed people to use language that is incredibly hateful and misogynist in talking about Hillary Clinton, or in responding to people who support Sen. Clinton.

Where is the 40 minute speech addressing this?

When do women get to hear someone say this contest should not be about what Hillary looks like in a pantsuit, that she is only a Senator because her husband cheated on her, or hear her called "Shrillary" for speaking out passionately on issues of the day?

In all the comments I've read regarding Obama's speech, these two most clearly touched on my thoughts about the speech.

Melissa McEwan, at Shakesville, had this to say:

There's one significant (to me) issue I have, and it's his failure to mention Clinton (at least in the prepared text), at whom some of Wright's invective was personally directed. It probably wouldn't bother me except for the fact that Obama's been a little ungracious to her on a personal level during this campaign. Clearly, they and their surrogates have provided plenty of reason for them not to like one another, and maybe they don't—but they are still colleagues and ideological allies at the end of the day. And, call me old-fashioned, but I still would like my president to treat people, even people with whom s/he has disagreements, with respect, despite Bush having spent the past seven+ years trying to make that expectation an antiquated notion.

I don't like it when I see Obama turn his back on Clinton, or refuse to look at her during debates. I don't like that he has failed to say he expects his supporters to vote for her if she gets the nomination, and has generally ignored issues of sexism—which I strongly suspect is not because he doesn't care about it (he is the father of two daughters, after all), but because he worries that its mention will remind people of his opponent.

It's an attitude that really rubs me the wrong way. One of the things I always really liked and admired about John Edwards was the fact that he was demonstratively respectful of his opponents. Even when he debated Cheney, who is arguably one of the most loathsome political figures in American history—but was also the vice president, the office of which deserved respect, even if the man who held it did not—Edwards looked at him when he spoke.

That says more about Edwards, ultimately, than it does about Cheney—which is something I feel like Obama hasn't quite grokked yet. He looked utterly contemptuous of Hillary when he would give up only "You're likeable enough," again, without looking at her save for a sideways glance, after she graciously noted how "very likeable" he is.

It's a decidedly unkind moment—and because, as Morrissey once so eloquently put it, "it takes strength to be gentle and kind," it also whiffs of weakness. I had the same feeling reading Obama's speech today, when he references "the white woman struggling to break the glass ceiling" and seems to be casting that sideways glance at Hillary, without actually looking at her. [...] It wouldn't kill him to note that she's more than "likeable enough." Actually, it would make him a lot more likeable, too.
Jerome Armstrong at MyDD writes:

I figured. What Obama wants to do is pivot it back to Clinton vs Obama, and get the Republican attack on him through Wright off the table, so he's equated Wright and Ferraro multiple times in the speech. We'll see if the Clinton surrogates fall for it or rise above and ignore it.

On one end of the spectrum, we’ve heard the implication that my candidacy is somehow an exercise in affirmative action; that it’s based solely on the desire of wide-eyed liberals to purchase racial reconciliation on the cheap. On the other end, we’ve heard my former pastor, Reverend Jeremiah Wright, use incendiary language to express views that have the potential not only to widen the racial divide, but views that denigrate both the greatness and the goodness of our nation; that rightly offend white and black alike.

...We can dismiss Reverend Wright as a crank or a demagogue, just as some have dismissed Geraldine Ferraro, in the aftermath of her recent statements, as harboring some deep-seated racial bias.
This is pretty ugly and unfair though of Obama, to equate statements by Ferraro with Wright. Obama goes on and on about how great a person Wright is, without a single kind word about Ferraro, just rubbing it in further. I believe the campaign has reached a new low.

Otherwise, great speech.

22 comments:

billie said...

perhaps camp clinton would be better suited to take on the misogyny- she hasn't said much to anything about it that i have heard.

Sue J said...

I give Obama credit for a smart political move -- making this into a larger issue takes the spotlight off of his own personal choices. By saying Wright speaks what much of Black America thinks, he has momentarily shifted our attention away from the fact that Obama has freely chosen to align himself with a man who has said hateful things about Hillary Clinton, and half the population.

One aspect of Obama that I find fascinating is his Zelig- like ability. When he is speaking to White Americans, he is the international child of a White mother and a father from Africa, representing the celebration of diversity. But when he speaks to African Americans, he somehow claims their long heritage of the evils of slavery and segregation, as well. Even though he is a first-generation African American, with no connection to this awful history.

This is where I find his speech to be disingenuous: the anger of Black ministers such as Wright may well come from a personal and family history of discrimination and racism, but Barack Obama has chosen to be a part of that angry heritage. He says that he cannot disavow Wright any more than he could his own grandmother, but this is blatantly untrue. You cannot cut ties to family, but when you sit in someone's church and feel uncomfortable with what they say, it's time to find a new church.

BAC said...

betmo - If Clinton does, she would appear to be "weak" or "shrill" ... it's as much a double edged sword for her as race is for Obama.

SueJ - I agree. You can't pick your family, but you CAN pick your pastor.


BAC

John J. said...

"it's as much a double edged sword for her as race is for Obama." You're right, but if Clinton doesn't have the art or skill to navigate this issue, can you trust her to navigate the bigger issues affecting America and the world? She has already tried to bring this up, but she didn't try to shine light on it to unify us, or to show us a way through. She used it as a complaint and an attack. She used it to divide us when we NEED unity.

"He says that he cannot disavow Wright any more than he could his own grandmother, but this is blatantly untrue." No, actually, it's not. It would be the same hypocrisy you accuse him of now to condemn someone for language their closer associates (in this case family) use.

I have never seen him claim any direct personal ties to slavery. He has though had to deal with the issues of segregation and racism. He says this in front of white and black groups.

Obama hasn't chosen to be a part of the "angry heritage." He denounces the language, but he has chosen to recognize the anger as a real part of our American culture than needs to be accepted and dealt with.

Jess Wundrun said...

I'm afraid that the most sexist comments thus far came from Ferraro herself when she said that she was only selected to be the veep candidate because she was a woman.

Sue J said...

john j, Obama can condemn the language of both his relatives and his associates, and I do believe he has done this.

Here's my issue: Freedom of religion means he can go to any church and build a relationship with any pastor he chooses. Or not.

On the other hand, his mother has a mother and this is a biological and legal fact. He cannot choose a new grandmother. So to say he has the same bond and connection with each is a little too much hyperbole.

He is walking in a minefield by discussing race, and I give him credit for trying. But I worry that he's trying to be all things to all people right now.

And as for why Clinton can't engage us in an honest discussion on misogyny, you illustrated it beautifully when you said:

She has already tried to bring this up ... She used it as a complaint

Mary Ellen said...

In this speech, Obama again showed he has little respect for women. To say on national TV that his grandmother used racist language is beyond the pale of respect for her. Considering he is such an "inspirational" speaker, a man of great education, could he NOT figure out a better way to make his point? His grandmother who raised him is still alive. Could you imagine how she must have felt when he said this...did he ever think of her feelings?

The two people he called racists in that speech was his grandmother and Ferraro, both women. The one he didn't call a racist...The not so Reverend Wright, the man who called for justice through hate, and pointed to whites as the enemy.

Anonymous said...

Christ on a crutch it's the nitpicking and hurt feelings because over such petty crap -- he didn't say anything nice about Gerry -- that's led to the bloody circular firing squad the Democrats are currently enjoying. If McCain's in the White House in November, take a good look in the mirror because you'll be seeing one of the reasons.

John J. said...

Sue, I said that because it's true. You did not see Obama saying "I'm being treated unfairly because of my race," the way Clinton has for her gender. If Clinton came out with an honest, open discussion about gender in America, I would applaud her. Instead you hear "Vote for me because I'm a woman" and "They're treating me unfairly because I'm a woman."

Mary Ellen, what he said about his grandmother is also in his book. He did not say the people were racist; he lumped all three people he named as having made racist and divisive statements. Yes, the two non-Wright people he mentioned were women - one he has great respect for and helped shape who he is, and another that just a week ago launched baseless, racially tainted attacks against him. He did not condemn any of these three PEOPLE, he condemned their LANGUAGE.

BAC said...

John -- as usual you are full of shit. You know perfectly well that the double standard is far worse for Clinton in this matter than it is for Obama. The fact that you said what you did about it is PROOF. Wake the fuck up and smell the roses. And PLEASE EXAMINE YOUR OWN SEXISM.


BAC

BAC said...

Jess - I couldn't disagree more.


BAC

John J. said...

"Jess - I couldn't disagree more." What is more denegrating to the feminist movement than for one of their leaders to dismiss the accomplishments as simply a quota system?

No true feminist that I know wants to be chosen for a position because of her genitalia. They are fighting for equal recognition of their accomplishments.

KELSO'S NUTS said...

I fall in the middle here. I would have liked both Clinton and Obama to have pressed sexism and racism HARD throughout. Unfortunatly, neither are that kind of candidate. Both are centrist Democrats. Both are intelligent. Neither particularly like to ruffle feathers. Clinton is very precise, disciplined and fearless. Obama has indeed enjoyed a rocking-chair ride so far and I agree with Sean Wilentz that it was Obama who kind of check-mated Clinton on race. So, now that it has bitten him in the ass, I can't cry for him.

Clinton has taken far the worst of the sexism than Obama has the racism.

That said, I thought his speech was perfect and I was hoping he'd fuck it up because I prefer Clinton. Obama was finally forced to do something other than an "Obama number" and in showing this other, more serious gear, he showed just how formidable he is.

I don't care for his barbs at Clinton and I don't care for her making the race about who's the more bellicose.

Again, I'd love it for Clinton to be an unabashed feminist. I believe strongly in feminism. I was wanting Obama to cut the "post-racial" shit.

I didn't go loco the way everybody else did about Wright saying "god damn America" because I'd heard way worse from my parents growing up. I laothe American nationalism. I don't live in America and I have no desire to live there again but I never felt so super-duper part of any kind of White Gentile Flag Waving rah-rah experience. What I really dislike Wright for is stuff that didn't come out which is his disgusting homophobia and sexism.

Nevertheless, I think Obama touched both someone (me) far to Obama's left and someone (Pat Buchanan) far to Obama's right with this idea of understanding that one needn't be patriotic all the time and that one can feel a sense of other-ness. Yes, it's possible to have WHITE SKIN (mine is actually about he color of Reverend Wright's!) and know institutional bigotry. And that doesn't have to be bad to feel and express it at times.

I still prefer Clinton. I'm still passing or voting for McKinney if she's the Green Party candidate purely as a protest at how Americans Abroad get treated in terms of delegates.

BAC said...

John - Face it ... YOU WILL NEVER "GET IT" ... the fact that you can't even see how misguided your comment is, is evidence of how much you don't get it.


BAC

Sue J said...

john j, under what conditions could Clinton talk about sexism without you perceiving it as -- in your words -- "a complaint"?

Life As I Know It Now said...

I read the news more than I watch the news. Having said that, each time I have seen HRC and Obama together I too witness his dismissal and negating of her. He can't get any of those female cooties on him ya know. It might make him seem weak and unmasculine to even acknowledge her presence. So yeah, that immediately pissed me off about him. He is definately trying to remain in the good ol' boys club.

John J. said...

Sue, I personally cannot explicitly say what she would need to say or how to say it. I am not a writer, much less a speech writer, and I am not a woman. All I am doing is drawing a sharp distinction between how Obama has handled the race issue, especially in this speech, and how Clinton has handled the gender issue.

Obama came out and said (paraphrasing) "Yes, there is a race issue. Both sides see it differently. We need to recognize that both sides are correct and come together to fix the joint problems." Never once have I heard him say "Vote for me so we can have the first black president." but I have heard Clinton, in almost every major speech and most of the debates I have watched say "Vote for me so that we can have the first female president." I have not heard Obama claim "They are treating me poorly because I am black," however Clinton, most notably in that recent debate has (and subsequently proceeded to actively answer first on any question not explicitly directed to Obama). This is the difference I see and why Clinton has (so far) failed to properly address the gender issue.

Sue J said...

I have not heard Obama claim "They are treating me poorly because I am black.

You're right, he never says that. He has others say it for him.

Comrade Kevin said...

If your mind is not open and your attention span is greater than or equal to twenty minutes, or less than twenty minutes is as the case with most of the people in this country, you will easily miss the crucial point.

It deserves to be read and listened to at one sitting, busy life aside.

I set aside my lunch hour at work in the morning and listened with rapt attention to every.single.word

Could you judge the Bible by twenty pages? Could you judge the SCUM Manifesto as some man-hating document if you did not bother to read it word for word and potentially understand where the writer was coming from, her history, and where he anger stemmed from?

BAC said...

Face it Comrade ... your guy missed yet another opportunity to close the deal. How much longer do you intend to apologize for him?


BAC

KELSO'S NUTS said...

BAC: I got to say that I'm with the Comrade on this one, thought the Comrade will get angry with me again, I'm sure.

The speech was a great one and very entertaining listening in one sitting. I can't say I heard a lot of sexism in it but as a man, I'm going to miss some of that, QED. I wish Obama had been this much of a DEMOCRAT from the beginning.

Both of these two are POLITICIANS not saints. Obama plays a role for Whites and a role for Blacks. Clinton gives a very different speech to the CFR than she does to Smith College.

Obama very much didn't close the deal but I don't think that's his fault. His coalition is just to broad and not deep enough not to lose a lot of his male right-wing support when a guy like Wright gets pulled into it.

BAC said...

Kelso, it's like a silent dog whistle ... you can either hear it, or you can't.


BAC