Saturday, May 10, 2008

This Just In from Department of Fatigue


"It is wonderful to be back in Oregon," Obama said. "Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it."

(UPDATE: At a later stop Obama was talking with reporters and expressed concern he'd also mis-stated the number of potential cyclone victims in Burma. He said, ""I hope I said 100,000 people the first time instead of 100 million. I understand I said there were 57 states today. It's a sign that my numeracy is getting a little, uh." At that point, an aide cut him off and ushered journalists out. Before he could mis-speak again?)

Oh, and as far as Hawaii voters are concerned, they're probably delighted to learn that Obama's campaign staff doesn't think that tiny state can justify an appearance by his eminence, even though he did a lot of growing up there. Or maybe because he was there.

Let's see what they do with that in the Honolulu media, which the Republicans have probably already notifed.

Maybe it's Obama's age. He's getting up there in his forties, you know.

(UPDATE II: Has this aging freshman senator -- he'll be almost 60 in 13 years -- lost his bearings? Are the eight new states caucus or primary? And will Howard Dean bar them from the convention too?

Obama's gaffe caused a noticeable stir online during the day and even the respected Marc Ambinder at The Atlantic anticipated that the political media would kindly write the Democrat's mis-statement off to fatigue. But he wrote if, say, the Republican nominee-to-be had uttered the same silly fatigue flub, it would surely be added to eager suspicions of senility.)



h/t to Taylor Marsh

5 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I wish I could be so kind as to brush this off as fatigue, I think the guy is as dumb as a rock. Sure, he graduated from Harvard Law School, but from his behavior on the trail, I wonder how many of his professors were threatened to be called racists if they didn't pass him. Just sayin'.....

Comrade Kevin said...

I am weary of this Obama versus Clinton beatdown and looking forward to the day, hopefully soon, where we can focus all of our hatred on John McCain, where it rightly belongs.

That is, if hatred serves any real purpose.

Anonymous said...

Saying Obama is stupid does no one any favors. It is looking like he is going to be the Democratic nominee. I will support him because we need absolutely need a democrat in the White House. While he is definitely is not as smart as Hillary. He is an Einstein compared to McCain. McCain finished 895 out of 899 midshipmen at the naval academy. In other words he was in the bottom 1%. If it weren't for his dad being a four-star admiral, they probably would of flunked him out.

Katie Schwartz said...

I wish, wish, wish Hil wins the nomination. She would make a spectacular president.

Barack is very charasmatic and if he does run, I'll vote for him because as Chris said, we need a democrat in office. However, I love Hil's politics. She really is "for the people."

That's just my opinion.

BAC said...

Mine, too, Jewgirl.


BAC