Saturday, September 27, 2008

In Memoriam - Paul Newman


Most of us know Paul Newman as an actor, but he was also a devoted husband, humanitarian, race car owner and entrepreneur. The NY Times has all the details of his life, but I'd rather take a moment to tell a more personal story.

You see, my favorite Paul Newman moment was the time I saw him at the Indy 500 race track. I was walking around Gasoline Alley, and Newman was inside one of the garages. Of course a crowd gathered as soon as word got out that he was there. We all waited patiently, and it wasn't long before he walked out. He was so handsome. He paused, removed his sunglasses and looked up at the sky. He gave us all ample time to take photos, and then he went back inside the garage. That was more than 30 years ago, and I can still remember those beautiful blue eyes.

1 comment:

Creepy said...

Last night my father, who is ill, told us he would like to have his baseball glove placed in his coffin. I brought up how when Frank Sinatra died his mourners stuffed his coffin with booze and cigarettes. Mom shocked us all by adding, "I wish they could fit me in Paul Newman's coffin."