Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Florida Woman Jailed over $7.45 Bill

Who says there's no free lunch? Maryanne O'Neill, a 66 year old Florida woman, has decided to go to jail rather than pay her $7.45 bill at a Fort Pierce Waffle House restaurant.

Apparently the woman entered the establishment, ordered coffee and a sandwich, and then refused to pay the bill. When an officer asked her to pay or go to jail, she refused to pay.

O'Neill, released on Monday from the St. Lucie County Jail, was charged with a second degree misdemeanor for obtaining food with "intent to defraud" the restaurant. If convicted she could face up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

So why do you think O'Neill is in this pickle? Is she simply too poor to pay the $7.45 bill? Is she looking for free room and board for the next 60 days? Was the food bad? What do you think?

.

4 comments:

Comrade Kevin said...

Did she refuse to wash dishes? That's all I've got to say.

Anonymous said...

I think only fools patronize Waffle Houses and Dennys.

Anonymous said...

I talked to my brother in Fort Pierce and the story is the bread was moldy. It doesn't surprise me that the gestapo, who was there for a free meal --they don't pay either -- would side with the management.

Dr. Zaius said...

I can totally relate to her plight. I take my sandwiches seriously! (More mustard! Not too much mayo!)