Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Remembering JFK

The first political figure I have memory of was John F. Kennedy, during his race for the White House in 1960. I was seven years old. My parents were registered Republicans and my mother worked for the local Republican party. I grew up in a small town, population 2,000, and every election day my mother would get up early to go work at the only polling place in town.

I doubt that my mother was thrilled at my choice of candidates, but wanting to encourage my interest in politics she walked down the street to where the woman who led the local Democratic efforts lived. Her name was Gertrude Davis, but everyone called her Gertie. Gertie was thrilled to get a Democratic campaign button into a Republican house!

I'm so grateful that my mother encouraged me to become politically active. I think she would be pleased to know that I'm a full time activist today.


May 29, 1917 - November 22, 1963

3 comments:

P M Prescott said...

I was about the same age and can remember the televised debates, Eisenhower's farewell speech, and quite a few of Kennedy's press conferences. Not because I wanted to watch them, but I was upset they pre-empted regular programming. Kennedy was such a promise of a bright future, and so suddenly the rug was pulled out from under our generation's feet to be left with Johnson and Nixon.

BAC said...

I can't help but wonder how different the country would be if JFK, Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, had lived.

BAC

P M Prescott said...

For conspiracy buffs, they think all the assasinations had to do with Vietnam. JFK was talking about getting out right before he was killed, Bobby won the Democratic nomination on a get out platform, and King had focused on Vietnam because of the preponderance of minorities dying there.