Friday, September 28, 2007

Jena 6 DA thanks Jesus for averting disaster

I have not written much about the Jena 6, but it is certainly an issue that has been on my mind. It's such a clear example of the racism that exists in this country. To think otherwise, is to be blind to reality.

If you are a believer, it borders on blasphemy for the DA to invoke Jesus into this case.



What I find truly sad about all this is the utter silence from the white clergy in the community. They have aligned themselves with the white community, to the detriment of the community they so often CLAIM to represent, which is "ALL of God's children."

As someone who does not attend worship services, but who was exposed briefly during my youth to the Christian faith, I do recall one song that clearly these pastors have forgotten. It's the only song I remember from my one and only week of Sunday school: "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world."

If anyone feels a need to invoke the name of Jesus in this case, let it be to pray for justice for the Jena 6.

No comments: